Is SCRUM Evil?
Scrum is evil because
- becomes and end in itself - an excuse
- "that's not scrum"
- treated as a silver bullet
- it hides poor estimation
- master as dictator
- master as project manager
- 2 days - certified!
- Daily standup = Agile
- Agile by the numbers
- Dessert first - not worring about technical debt or CI
- You lose the baby with the bathwater
- scrum teams don't play well with others including customers
- it has certification
- it is the philosopher's stone
- scrum is iterative waterfall
- "I'm feeling sort of damp and ..."
- Scrum is the new RUP
- Jeffrey More - 'Crossing the Chasm'
- technology adoption lifecycle
- visionaries/early adopters -> early marjority (scrum has crossed over - makes early adopters sad)
- After the gold rush
- Other engineering professions have bigger budgets, more risk, more formulae?
- Other engineering professions still have this pain - see the aeronautical engineer who built spaceship One for Richard Branson on lean methodologies
- Delays of Recent Boeing/Airbus Aircraft
- A lot of Agile stuff comes from bottom up - Scrum comes from Top down
Scrum is Good Because
- (not about how to get non-sucky engineers)
- people can get it
- an easy introduction
- a good starting point
- it is better than a cowboy shop people can actually follow it
- improves visibility
- provides a forum for communication
- can engage customers in a much wider way
- blockers are highlighted
- testers can start work early
- states there should be a facilitator
- results focussed
- makes everybody responsible for end result
- better communication from end result
- Scrum is not evil - people are evil